Aldridge Place History

  • On May 15, 1912, Lewis Hancock, developer of the Austin Country Club, placed the “restricted residence addition”, Aldridge Place, on the market. Deed restrictions set a minimum sale price, prohibited apartments, and forbid the sale or rental of property to African-Americans, though live-in servants were explicitly allowed. An advertisement by real estate agent K.C. Miller in the May 12, 1912 edition of the Austin Daily Statesman reads, “The restrictions as to the character of building, the cost, etc., insures [sic]…the attractive and high class homes and the companionship of refined neighbors…” Hancock also deeded Hemphill Park to the City as a public park. Though Hancock never lived in Aldridge Place, many of Austin’s well-heeled citizens built handsome and stately houses in this new exclusive development. J. Frank Dobie, a renter in 1922, purchased a house at 3109 Wheeler in 1926. There are many other Landmark houses in Aldridge Place.

  • While other neighbourhoods in and around the University of Texas, have secumbed to the developers bulldozer, and inconsistent planning, Aldridge Place has maintained Aldridge Place has been able to retain much of its original character, thanks to a strong partnership between local residents and the City of Austin. This has led to a remarkable resugence in exceplempory property being restored over the past twentry years.

Below: Guadelupe St. looking South early 1900's



About Aldridge Place
History
Homes
Homes for sale Coming Soon
Current Events
Issues
Live Chat
Blog Coming soon
A Special Place
Gallery
Living here coming soon
Interactive Calendar

 

Home | History | Chat| Calendar| Gallery